Today is the last day of my (Helen’s) twenties. Tomorrow I turn thirty! As I think back on the last decade, I’m reminded of some incredible milestones, and I’m thankful.
- At the age of twenty-one, I came to know Jesus. I’d grown up going to church, but had never realized that God wants relationship, not just prayers before bed and church attendance on Sunday. God showed me that life is meant to be lived for Him, and that Jesus laid down His life for me. What an inexpressible gift.
- At the age of twenty-two, I began my journey with Youth With A Mission (YWAM), taking a Discipleship Training School (DTS) in Kona, Hawaii, with an outreach in Ch!n@, Japan, and Korea. God placed missions on my heart, and I came to know Him and love Him more. On DTS, I also met Michael, as his parents were also DTS students with me in Kona. I had no idea at the time that we would be married a little over a year later!
- On my twenty-fourth birthday, Michael and I got engaged. Less than three months later, we were married. I am so thankful that God gave Michael to me. He has stood by me through so much, and he is such a treasure.
- At twenty-six, God brought me through a journey of recovery after years of struggling with an eating disorder. Three years later, I am healthier and happier than I had ever been when I told myself that losing another x pounds would bring me fulfillment. Thank You, Jesus, for using Toronto General Hospital to walk me through recovery.
- I became an SBS student at twenty-seven, and graduated at twenty-eight. What a gift it is to have studied the entire Bible and to immerse myself in God’s Word for nine months. What a treasure it is to see the redemptive work of God through history, and to understand the big picture of the Scriptures.
- After SBS, God called Michael and I into missions together at YWAM Turner Valley. I could never have predicted that I would be a missionary in my home province of Alberta, but we have no doubt that we are exactly where God wants us.
- God has given Michael and I dreams for the future – dreams to take the Word of God to the nations, through YWAM’s Titus program (more on that to come, or check out our newsletter for details).
The twenties have been a big decade with huge ups and difficult downs, but I am so thankful that God has been with me through all of it, and that I gave my life to Him almost nine years ago. Lord, I trust that Your presence will go with me into my thirties, and that You will continue to guide me through every milestone and challenge that comes in this next decade.
Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders/Let me walk upon the waters/Wherever You would call me.
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander/And my faith will be made stronger/In the presence of my Savior.